PRIORITIES AND TIME MANAGEMENT

QUESTION:

Lisa, when you sit down to work your business, what do you do? I am having difficulty knowing what to do first and how to manage my time, especially with the kids always home.

ANSWER:

Well, let me say the way I manage my time has changed a lot over the years as my season of life has changed.

When I began with BeautiControl I had small children at home and did a lot of balancing between mommy, spa Girl, and eventually director.

I mainly worked when the children were napping or after the kids went to sleep. I was very strict about kids being in bed at certain times and was also very disciplined about working during those times. I did not clean house, or do chores of any kind... just BC.

My first priority then and now is my personal spa business. So if I sat down and saw that my calendar was lacking, that was the first place I began... BOOKING!!!

GREAT SPA GIRLS TURN INTO GREAT DIRECTORS!!! If you want Director keep booking and sharing, Director will come as a result of your consistent activity. That is why booking is important, not just before you become a director, but after!

Even now, as a Sr. Executive Director, I never do less than 6-8 spa parties per month.

Second priority... hostess coaching! keeping spas from canceling and rescheduling takes time and energy on our part as the consultant. One thing I learned very early is although the spa party is the most important thing in your world, it is NOT the most important thing in your hostesses world. She has a job, kids, home to manage, and everything that comes along with that. So I learned to make things as easy for the hostess as possible. I send her physical invites or evites, email her the save-the-date, and coach her to invite guests personally.

Third priority... Personal new consultants! You are all they have! I used to approach this responsibility with a very hands off attitude. My perspective was, if they want it, they will do it. I soon learned that YOU have to be the initiator asking lots of questions, inviting new consultants to engage in events and meetings, and doing what you can to help them be successful, which usually comes in the form of tools and encouragement.

Fourth priority... New non-personals. Another reality, although consultants recruit, they may not be ready to lead others or willing to lead others. Of course this can be developed if the desire is there, but in the meantime, you are to stand in the gap, helping that group of consultants.

Fifth priority... gainables. Gainables are your growing leaders, your consultants that have a true desire to grow, learn, and move up in our career plan. 80 percent of your time with consultants should be spent with the top 20 percent of your team. I would further define this group as not necessarily leaders yet, although some are, but they are working hard and leadership is their desire.

Sixth priority... Sustainables. These are your consultants that are successfully plugging along. They don't really desire or need your coaching on a regular basis, and have little desire to go any further in our career plan. These ladies need a phone call occasionally, an encouraging word, and recognition, but may not participate in advanced calls or leadership meetings.

A few more tips:

- Making a TO DO list is great but make a separate TO CONTACT LIST each week. Take a look at your team list and evaluate as I look at the names. Ask yourself these questions? Who needs me? Who has the desire? Who is discouraged? Who needs more training in an area? What does my team lack right now? What do they need? Who needs to be developed into a leader? Who is close to the next level. As you ask yourself these questions, make notes on your TO CONTACT LIST.

- Set small goals for connection. I usually try to connect with two spa girls per evening. My husband knows that from 7pm-9pm I am on the phone. Staying connected to your team is very important. You could also set a goal to connect with at least two clients per day. That is 14 connections in one week. I usually find that once I sit down and make those calls, I get into a grove and end up making more connections than intended for that evening.

- Success is learning to do the right things, not doing everything. Sometimes as women we become obsessed with prep, planning, investigating, and making sure every detail is taken care of. It's about action, spa parties, being in front of people. Don't get trapped by the computer screen and the busy work! That may keep you busy but won't move you very far.

Just be the best spa girl you can be... this means put most of your focus on your personal spa business! We all have time struggles, especially when you have a full time job or kids at home. We all do the best we can with the time we have. Just make sure to use that precious time to do the MOST IMPORTANT things and delegate and/or let the other things go as long as you can. I always reminded myself that laundry was not going to bring me financial freedom, my spa parties would. And I was right!


No comments:

Post a Comment